Monday, February 27, 2012

About three months with no posts..

It is hard to believe that it is about three (3) months since my last post.  I am not going to make any excuses  - all I have to say is that we needed a break.

Our journey toward sustainable living as a family of five has in no way stopped or been put on hold - below is a snapshot of some of our activities over the past three months.

We have started a local wholesale buying group.....


We have been making our own sourdough bread from home milled grain for nearly 6 months now and have preserved about half of a 5 kg box of garlic grown by my uncle.  We have enough great Australian garlic to use for a year and some to get planted in the garden soon. 



Our work at the ELF Community Garden continues (visit our Facebook page for more information and photos)




Our home garden has been producing lots of fruit, picking greens and vegetable over summer...







And, of course we found some time to connect with nature and enjoy the outdoors. These are some snapped of the kids enjoying time at Ganguddy Camping Ground (Dunn's Swamp) Wollemi National Park.







And that's just a taste of what has been happening.... I am looking forward to sharing our continuing journey to sustainability.




4 comments:

  1. Hi there, I would love to know how you preserved your garlic. I grow about a years worth but it doesn't last through till the next lot is ready for harvest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda, peeled and froze enough cloves for one head of garlic a week for winter ... and then dried some more in the food drier before making it into a powder with the blender - this has made a great garlic powder... my plan is to keep using these all year until the new batch come through... I also use the garlic leaves in cooking over winter.. Did not want to put fresh garlic into oil with all the talk of botulism... Marita

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Marita, I'm going to try freezing some. I don't have a food drier so I might play around with oven drying some of it. (Not too much because I would hate to waste the precious stuff if it didn't work!) Thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you have had a busy 3 months. I'm really interested in your wholesale buying group as I am looking to do something similar with my local transition town group. I'd never though of freezing garlic - mine is usually hung outside but ends up sprouting towards the end of storage. Am definitely going to give freezing a try... I've also seen recipes for pickled garlic too so might give that a go. Not sure if that affects the flavour at all?!

    ReplyDelete