Time and time again we see nature setting challenges for us as a world, nation or local community to overcome. Currently the ash cloud from the volcano in Iceland has grounded the vast majority of airplane travel in an out of Europe and the UK. On a more local level there are floods associated with the melting of glaciers by the volcano and lots of falling ash. We have over the last decade or so seen the effects on communities of hurricanes, cyclones, bushfires and tsunamis.
- How would you cope with no power for a week or two?
- Can you heat or cool your house without grid power or gas?
- What if fresh food supplies to your area stopped?
- What alternate drinking water supplies do you have?
- What alternatives do you have for cooking or keeping perishable foods?
- One we do not think about much is - how would we cope if our local sewrage processing failed?
Through my permaculture course we are exploring alternative ways to decrease our reliance external supplies such as power, water, sewerage and supermarket food.
What have you done to prepare for such events? Do you have a disaster mangement plan?