Going into the audit we thought that we were fairly good on our conservation of water in the house... we have
- put extra bottles in the cistern of the old toilet to reduce the water it uses
- we have a water efficient washing machine and dishwasher,
- when we have ample water in the rainwater tank we run the washing machine and the main toilet on rainwater,
- our garden outside is watered by the rainwater tanks or naturally by rain, and in drier times we bucket shower and bath water to the garden, and
- we have tried to teach the kids the importance of turning taps off and reducing water use around the house.
Our littlest marking on her tick after going to the toilet
So I guess it is no suprise that our audit just confirmed our previous observation that we are well below the average water consumption for households in Orange. Our last water bill had us on a daily houehold useage of 466 litres, which closely matches our water audit just completed of 473 litres a day. Our recording of water use must have been pretty accurate - thanks to all the kids that really got into marking up ticks for cleaning their teeth and flushing the toilet.