Wednesday, January 27, 2010
This year we will also be committing to not using any plastic wraps or bags in the lunch boxes - that is the boys will be having lots of "nude food" days.
These are just some of the ways that we will be trying to reduce our purchasing of new materials and minimising the waste that we generate.
Tuesday, January 26, 2010
Sunday, January 24, 2010
Thursday, January 21, 2010
This is one of my 2010 goals - to do at least half of my daycare drop offs and pick-ups on the bike. Will see how I go.... not sure about Orange's winters where it can snow! Once school is back next week, the boys will be riding down with me after school to pick up their little sister.
This regular riding should keep them fit for our holiday activities that have in the past included riding some of Victoria's Rail Trails (pictures were taken on the Beechworth-Everton Trail).
Wednesday, January 20, 2010
Our dream is to make a more sustainable lifestyle in Orange.
Like many others, we consider ourselves to be fairly "green". Since moving to our "new" 1980's house in Orange we have:-
- installed solar panels and solar hot water on the roof,
- we have put in a rainwater tank for the garden and have it connected to the washing machine and our main toilet,
- we try to reduce waste and fill the councils recycle bin regularly,
- we compost or feed the chooks all our green waste - even the mountain of lawn clippings that we seem to generate,
- we have planted fruit trees and shrubs and created vegie gardens
Despite doing all this we realise that there is a long way to go toward sustainability - much of this will be the small every day changes to our life habits. We hope that through blogging our challenges to achieving better sustainability we will inspire others to follow.
Join us on our journey....